Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Brush Pen Review | Brush Pens I am Currently Using

Hi friends! I hope that you are having a good day so far and thank you for dropping by :)

I have posted a review of the current brush pens that I have in my stash up on my Youtube channel (video is also in this post if you read all the way to the end.. hehe).

I started my calligraphy journey a long time ago back in high school and I was using one of those refillable calligraphy pens. Most of the scripts I have written back then were Italics or Gothic styles because I only have the italic nib and I didn't know there were so many different types of scripts. Like drawing, I stopped writing in calligraphy when I went off to pursue my tertiary education. I think I probably didn't have as much time at my disposal as I used to back in high school and so I didn't even think about them. Come to think of it, I stopped many creative things in College.... I stopped drawing, writing and reading for leisure! If I could turn back time, I would tell myself to continue my creative pursuits even if it was only for 10-15 minutes a day!

Back in 2013/14, I discovered modern calligraphy on Instagram. I bough a kit from Maybelle and learned how to write using a dip pen. That was fun but being a leftie, writing with a dip pen came with quite a bit of challenges. The angle of the nib, the wet ink smudges are a constant struggle. That said, I like how I had to slow down to write each and every letter and just let it flow. Another one of my personal challenge was that I like it if I write in a straight line and because I am a leftie and the angle I hold my nib, I slant my paper and that made it hard for me to see if I was writing straight. haha.... 

Then I discovered --> Brush Pens! Yeay! They write like a pen but with a brush nib that allows me to achieve that thick and think lines I love but I can hold them like I would a pen and not have to slant the paper :D Figuring out which brush pens to use was the only challenge and I began my journey figuring out which ones would be best suited for me and that's where this blog post and video comes in.

I don't have many brush pens in my stash but I do have very good ones, in my opinion. I don't have colored ones because I will use my watercolor brush if I am doing brush calligraphy in colors. I will probably do a video of that in the near future. Let me know if you would like that :)


The brush pens used in this video are all my own and are not sponsored:
  1.  Tombow Calligraphy Pen Dual Nib - Black/Grey
  2.  Tombow Soft Nib
  3.  Pentel Sign Pens
  4.  Faber-Castell Brush Pen
  5.  Deleter Neopiko Line 3
  6.  Kuretake Fudegokochi 

If you have any questions, please do leave a comment. I am also on Instagram and you can follow me @evelintdesigns for more of my stationery and cards in pictures. 

Thank you for dropping by!
- Evelin

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! As a leftie too, it can be so challenging not to smudge and smear. Thankfully we have options now.
    Any creative videos you post, as very much appreciated.
    Squishy hugs,
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo fellow leftie! :) Yes, smudging and smearing has got to be one of our biggest challenges. Even for pencil sketches, I still get smudges on my hand.. haha... so I use a blue pencil now and it has been so much better for me cos I really don't like smudges :P

      Brush pens are so much easier to use as compared to dip nibs. We still need to wait a bit for them to dry and not rush but really, at least I can hold them like how I hold a pen :)

      Thank you for watching my video and leaving comments. I really appreciate it!

      Love,
      Evelin

      Delete